Thursday 5 February 2015

A Serge of Celebration...

This whole acknowledging, accepting and "honoring" the concussion I acquired is tough business. Not reading, trying to stay away from screens and taking it easy is tough business. Staying low key and stress free is almost killing me. This time, however, has given me lots of time to think...and think I have done! Sometimes what I am thinking about makes me angry (for no rational reason) or ridiculously sad. Sometimes I am almost overwhelmed with a variety of emotion. I've spent a lot of time thinking about my commitment to celebrating and reaffirming my original belief that I have a great deal to celebrate!

On my calendar, I had chosen one person to celebrate this time - for obvious reasons. Upon reflection, I've decided to yell "Plot Twist" and go a different route.

My life has been about different routes all along...different routes and dancing to different drums..I've uprooted and re-established myself in many different communities during my "post-school" life...Although, who am I kidding..school and learning have been a huge part of my life always. School aside though, becoming a part of a new community, knowing no one is a daunting task. I have a favourite starting point though...with good reason!

My first "stop" when I move to a new community is the local RCMP detachment. For me, the RCMP is the heart of the community. The partnership between the detachment and schools is invaluable. I believe the friendships I have been fortunate enough to build are invaluable too. Yes, my friends teased me relentlessly (or so it seemed) about my "affinity" for a man in uniform - even going as far as being "shocked" to learn that when I did get married, it wasn't to an officer of the law! It wasn't that way at all ever. I knew that with these friendships, I had someone I could count on whenever...

One of my first friends in Pemberton was Scott Bowden. He was an amazing community member for school-aged kids! He spent many recesses in the playground...playing basketball or hockey, throwing a ball or simply just chatting to kids. He was my favourite running partner when his back wasn't a bother for him. He always managed to make me smile and see a brighter side. He treated my son well and kick-started his admiration of "heroes"! Scott gave Jamison his first hockey stick and his first (and only Oilers jersey!) I can remember one occasion, early in our friendship, when Scott came to visit me at school after a particularly upsetting incident with a parent. He quickly whisked me to the local coffee shop to recompose. It was there that I met Travis, who was a Tribal Police officer. Travis and Scott became my go-to guys. Through Travis, I met his beautiful wife, Julie...such an amazing lady!

Eventually Scott left Pemberton to further his career in Squamish...Travis and Julie left Pemberton for Abbotsford. New members moved in and new friendships were formed.

I was fortunate to work and become friends with Paul Vadik. Paul is a character! He was so passionate about his job, his friends and having fun! For me, it was always a treat to have him swing by the school or see him out in the community. I think one of the most admirable qualities Paul has is that he doesn't put up with any nonsense. He was set on making Pemberton a better place for all.

I remember one very wet Halloween in Pemberton when Paul was on patrol. As my son, in his soggy dinosaur costume, and I trudged from house to house, we met up with Paul in Vinyl Village. When he rolled down his window to say hello to Jamison, my son gave Paul some of his Halloween candy! It was obvious that Paul had made an impact on Jamison too...what kid gives away his candy?!?!

Here's what I appreciate about Paul - he's been on his own journey over the years. A journey that makes him even stronger and even more of a character! Here's what I appreciate about both Scott and Paul the most....I always knew I was looked after and safe...and that I had a friend on whom I could rely! 

When I moved to Okotoks from Pemberton, I quickly weaseled my way into the RCMP community too. I haven't formed the same friendships here as I did in BC, but Okotoks is a different type of community and officers move out of here more frequently. I know, however, that I have people here I can turn to in a heartbeat! My son has gone through his "I want to be a policeman" more than once in his little life - although policeman and break-dancer sometimes go hand - in - hand for him! Maybe he knew Paul better than I thought!

In recent times, with all of the targeted tragedies involving RCMP offices, I knew that celebrating guys like Scott and Paul needed to happen! Too often we forget to remember that RCMP and all first responders are people too - family men, fathers, sons, brothers and friends. Scott and Paul, you have my admiration and friendship always.


No comments:

Post a Comment