Monday 9 February 2015

4 Quarters are better than 100 Pennies...

In this world of social media, we can connect with hundreds of people across continents. Are these connections really "connections"? How often do we honestly make an effort to keep in touch with all of these "friends". I do like knowing that I can reach out and communicate with past students, friends from elementary school, friends from afar, close relatives and those in between. I've been blessed with some great friendships in my life - some have stood the test of time; some were to teach me something, some were short and fleeting...what I truly appreciate about the relationships I have had, is that I can easily identify one or two really close friends from each stage of my life. I am lucky!

The saying goes, "it's better to have 4 quarters than 100 pennies" Quality over quantity. This week I am celebrating one of my "quarters" although she is much more valuable to me than that!



I have known Jennifer for more than 1/2 my life. We may argue as to the exact day we met or age we were at the time, but one thing is for sure - we became fast friends! We met at Pigeon Lake...the scene of the crime. One weekend of socializing with the gang. Nothing outlandish. I can't remember the night we met or what we did, but I do remember having a lot of fun once we solidified our friendship. Laughter was a major component of every occasion!

One fall, deep in to our friendship, I convinced Jennifer to join me at the Republik. It wasn't necessarily her scene, but it was mine. She was used to that type of outing as I had been "dragging" her to The Den at the U of C and other dives for quite some time. Once at the Republik, I (maybe not so subtly) told her to smile or she would never meet a man. The rest, they say, was history - Jennifer met Doug; they dated and soon married. The wedding was so much fun - I loved being the Emcee...wedding jeopardy...Table 81...lots to celebrate. And celebrate we did...Jennifer's new life together with Doug!

Jennifer, a young and promising lawyer, soon learned she was expecting their first child. Kira made quite the entrance into this world and won over the hearts of many with her cute smile, infectious giggle and twinkling eyes. Although her time here was not nearly long enough at all, she impacted many lives. I was honored to deliver Kira's eulogy. We celebrated Kira's life.

Jennifer did not and could not give up for she was expecting their second child. Amy was the center of Jennifer's universe. We celebrated the arrival of such a beautiful and vivacious little girl.

Soon Amy was joined by Rylan, two years her junior (but only five months older than my son!). I was thrilled to have an instant friend for Jamison... and the advice, hand-me-downs and incredible gifts that Jennifer lovingly sent our way were always appreciated!

Over-the-top birthday celebrations were the norm - I'm not talking about mine...although I do love a good birthday party! Jennifer always made sure that every child in attendance received an elaborate and, sometimes custom made, gift bag. Rylan's party this year took place at McMahon Stadium, home of the Stampeders. It wasn't just a celebration for Rylan, It was an opportunity for children and families connected to Hospice Calgary to join in some serious fun and forget their worries and grief even if just for one afternoon. Jennifer celebrates others when they don't think they can.

Jennifer is truly a GIVER. She is a rare breed. Over time, she has cultivated deep and lasting friendships - not a surprise - with so many amazing people...from Hockey amd Football stars, to Olympic heroes, to "plain old" moms like me. These friendships have proved invaluable as time has passed.

Several years ago, while traveling to Sun Peaks. BC for a ski holiday, Jennifer's life took another turn. On that trip, their SUV was involved in an accident. In a heartbeat, Jennifer lost her husband, Doug, and her precious Amy. Jennifer survived - battered, bruised, broken in more ways than one. She survived. Rylan survived. Jennifer could not and would not give up. We celebrated the lives left for us to love, and those we loved but had to grieve.

Death can sometimes change those left to mourn. I see Jennifer bathed in love and light, surrounded by angels. She continues to give and think of others in ways I could not even begin to imagine. She surprises us all so often with her generosity and endless love. 

In the months that followed the accident, Jennifer slowly began to recover physically, although that journey is still far from done and may never be. She also began her journey of healing. To celebrate our boys, we headed to Disneyland. It was a magical experience to say the least (although we could have done without the earthquake on the last day). We had such fun...outlasting our sons every night! How we pulled it off, I may never know!

Jennifer has devoted her life to Rylan. She has been highly involved with his schools and schooling. She has spent countless hours driving back and forth to football, hockey and swimming practices and games. She is the quintessential sports mom - her bags are always filled with treats for all kids (and adults) around.

There have been many moments of levity and laughter during our years as friends. Sweater - interventions, late night phone conversations, crazy shopping sprees, and more. We offered each other support when needed. I remember "running away" to Jennifer's condo after an argument with my dad. Yes, I was in my 20s, but what the heck! Jennifer has been there to hear all of my sob stories about my break-ups too...she could have enough material for a comedy routine if she chose to do so!

Last year, Jennifer asked me if I would go to Maui with her and Rylan. Maui was where Kira passed away fourteen years earlier. Jennifer was ready to go back to heal, and I couldn't have been more honored to accompany both her and Rylan. I was so proud of her! It was a tough trip for sure, and Jennifer, once again, exuded strength and bravery. We celebrated life in Maui - ours, Kira's and my dad's as well. We traveled to Maui with her mother's blessing - we needed that in order to go.


Jennifer's mom, Pat, was dying of cancer. There was not easy way out of that. She wanted us to go on this adventure together. She surprise us with so many gifts and memories along the way. In Oct 2014, Pat passed away. While Jennifer had been preparing for this inevitability, losing her champion was not easy. Again, she showed strength, poise, love and bravery. Last week Jennifer celebrated her birthday - her first without her mom. The year of firsts is never easy.

"They"say (and I am not sure who "they"are) that God doesn't give us more than we can handle. I am in awe at Jennifer and all that she has had to handle so far. This woman, my friend, had taught us all lessons, about the strength and compassion. She amazes us with her will and giving nature. She is a source of love and light for us all who are lucky enough to call her Friend. This woman, my friend, deserves to be celebrated..and celebrated again and again!


Jennifer, you are an angel on this earth, surrounded by loving angels of your own. Thank you for your friendship and thank you for your part in my journey! Love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment